In the scenario of installing a fresh new SharePoint2007, its a good idea to install it once with all the updates & service packs available.
Here i will go through bundle every thing in one MOSS2007 installation folder, including MOSS2007 Setup, WSS v3 SP2, microsoft office sharepoint server2007 SP2 and the cumulative update (15 july 2009) for both WSS v3 and MOSS2007.
To get started, we will need the SharePoint 2007 installation media, the SP2 for both WSS and MOSS, and the latest Cumulative Updates for both WSS and MOSS. so here are the links for downloading SP2 & the latest CUs:
To begin make a folder named c:\MOSS2007, and copy the MOSS2007 installation files and folders into it. (the folder will look similar to the following pic)
Notice that theres a folder called Updates , here we will extract the SP2s and CUs files. as follows:
- open up command propmt . start > run > cmd.
- extract the four files (SPs & UCs) by writing EXTRACT command as follows depending on the path of each one (i prefer to put them all in one folder in the C:\ root to narrow the extraction command statement):
– c:\wssv3sp2-kb953338-x64-fullfile-en-us.exe /extract:c:\MOSS2007\updates
– c:\officeserver2007sp2-kb953334-x64-fullfile-en-us.exe /extract:c:\MOSS2007\updates
– c:\wss-kb968850-fullfile-x64-glb.exe /extract:c:\MOSS2007\updates
– c:\office-kb968851-fullfile-x64-glb.exe /extract:c:\MOSS2007\updates
And after completing the extraction proccess for all files, you shall notice that the Updates folder will be filled with many msp files, also you will notice that there are two DLL files named svrsetup.dll and wsssetup.dll, you must delete the file wsssetup.dll because its causing a Setup Error (Language not supported by your system), and conflecting with the other file svrsetup.dll.
Now you are ready to install a complete fully updated MOSS2007.
Recommended installation sequence for updates
Also if you are making a separate Updates installation, like say you have MOSS already installed, and want to update to Service Packs 2 and cumulative updates, then Microsoft enforces the installation order of service packs, but does not enforce the installation order of packages or patches. You can install packages or patches in any order you want, so long as every server in your farm is updated to the same level when you are done. In addition, there is no requirement to install an update unless your servers are affected by the problem described in the KB article for the update.
Although Microsoft does not enforce the update installation sequence, we recommend that you install the post-RTM updates for Office SharePoint Server that you require in the following sequence:
- Service Pack 2 for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (KB 953338)
- Service Pack 2 for Office SharePoint Server 2007 (KB 953334)
- The June CU for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (KB 971538)
- The June CU for Office SharePoint Server 2007 (KB 971537)
|Remember to run either the SharePoint Configuration Wizard or Psconfig.exe at the command prompt on every server in your farm to complete the update. You are not required to run the SharePoint Configuration Wizard or Psconfig between each step in the sequence. You can to wait until all updates are installed on a given server before you run the SharePoint Configuration Wizard or PSconfig.